After eight hours of searching, rescue teams called off their efforts to find the man who reportedly jumped off the Mass. Ave bridge early Tuesday morning, according to the Boston Fire Department, and have started efforts to recover his body.
Around 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday night, a cab driver reported to police that he saw a man jump off the bridge into the Charles River.
The report launched a full-scale search and rescue effort by Boston Police, the Boston Fire Department and Massachusetts State Police for several hours, before it was scaled back around 7:30 a.m. to a search for the man's body. By noon, the search had been called off.
According to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley's office, state police continue to investigate the presumed death of the man.
"Multiple witness statements suggest that he went over the bridge intentionally, and there is no indication of criminal conduct at this time," said DA Spokesperson Jake Wark in an email.
State Police divers are expected to return to the site today to resume the search for his remains, Wark said.